Broken or Fractured Shoulder
An Orthopaedic surgeon who will give the best care possible.
Trauma to the shoulder is common with injuries resulting from falls, high-speed car accidents or sports. Most shoulder fractures involve the clavicle (collar bone) or proximal humerus (top of the upper arm bone) and, less commonly, the scapula (shoulder blade), which is more difficult to break and often associated with chest injuries.
Symptoms of Shoulder Fractures
While many fractures are a result of high force impact or stress, bone fractures can also be caused by medical conditions such as osteoporosis.
Broken bones and minor injuries can often be successfully treated without orthopaedic surgery; however, injuries with significant deformity or associated skeletal instability are better treated with surgery to ensure the bones heal in the correct position and reduce the risk of future complications.
In nearly 80 percent of shoulder fractures, the broken bones remain near their anatomic position (non-displaced). Therefore, immobilisation in a sling or shoulder immobiliser is the best treatment, and they heal within about six weeks. The other 20 percent of shoulder fractures are displaced and may require some type of manipulation or surgery to restore the bone to the correct anatomical position.
Often the rotator cuff muscles are injured or torn at the same time as the fracture, which can further complicate treatment.
Common Shoulder Reconstruction Procedures & Treatments
Some fractures are not suitable for repair or fixation, and alternative procedures may be required, such as replacement, excision or fusion.
Most shoulder injuries, whether treated surgically or non-surgically, can affect arm mobility for several weeks or even months. Physiotherapy is recommended to decrease stiffness, improve range of motion and help you regain muscle strength.
How Dr James McLean can help
Dr James McLean has extensive upper limb experience, including soft tissue and bone injuries.
He will work with you to develop a treatment plan that will have the best possible outcome for your shoulder injury. Dr James McLean will discuss the following during your consultation.
- The type of injury
- Severity of the injury
- Treatment options
- Possible complications
- Whether surgery is necessary
- Length of recovery time after shoulder surgery
- Short and long-term expected outcome